No experience with shellfish aquaculture is required but would be preferred; applicants must meet the qualifications listed below. Our Skipper/Crew Boss learns and procures a variety of aspects of working on an oyster farm on the water and tidelands. Objectives include:
- Operate and manage oyster harvests via vessel or intertidally
- Operate and manage oyster planting via vessel or intertidally
- Maintain highest safety standards while operating vessel, insuring crew and self-safety above all
- Ensure vessel is running well and maintenance protocols are being met
- Manage crew while on the water during farm tasks
- Take direction from management to procure weekly harvest goals for sales, putbacks and seed/gear husbandry
- Ensure vessel meets DOH standards prior to harvests
- Care for and plant oyster seed using different outplant methods
- Participate in the processing and transport of shellfish from farm sites to processing facility
- Become familiar with operating and maintaining boats and other farm-related equipment
- Work within a team dynamic to efficiently get the job done
- Individuals must have a minimum of two years of experience running equivalent vessels
- Must be able to maneuver and navigate a 20’-60’ boat in all weather conditions in Willapa Bay
- Must be able to follow all state mandated product tagging protocols and paperwork corresponding to harvest
- Individuals must be able to work flexible hours including some weekends and nights to accommodate the tide and market schedule
- Enjoy working outdoors on the water, and be comfortable working outdoors in inclement conditions and indoor refrigerated environment
- This is an active job and applicants should be able to regularly lift and handle 50 pounds without difficulty and be able to work in a physically challenging environment on and off the water
- Individuals must adhere to all safety standards on the farm and farm facilities
- Must be able to speak/understand English and communicate respectfully with coworkers
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Applicants must be able to pass a background check and drug test
Compensation: Range starting at $22 an hour or competitive rates DOE. Short term housing is available on a limited basis.
When: Positions potentially opening up immediately but is DOE and current needs.
Where: Tokeland and surrounding areas in Willapa Bay
Physical demands / work environment risk exposure: Position requires exerting up to 20-50 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Movement includes climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, manual dexterity, talking, hearing, repetitive motion, and standing for extended periods. Work environment includes exposure to heat and cold of indoor and outdoor environment; risk associated with forklift, motor vehicles and vessels at sea; sharp knives (cut risk); risk associated with lifting; and wet or uneven ground surfaces.
For an application please contact Dawn Mallory at firstname.lastname@example.org or please call 360-268-7515
Equal Opportunity Employment Willapa Bay Oyster Company is a proud equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that employees and applicants will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran’s status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable state, federal or local laws. Tribal preference. Must be able to pass drug test.
To apply, please download the application and follow all instructions.Download Application